It’s rare to see the emergence of an entirely new business segment, but that’s what’s happened in the drug development industry with biosimilars — similar versions of existing biologic drugs. More than 700 biosimilars and 245 biopharmaceutical, big pharmaceutical and generics companies developing or already marketing biosimilars are detailed in this new report by BioWorld.
BioWorld has been the news and analysis leader focused squarely on the development of biologics for more than two decades. In Biosimilars: A Global Perspective of a New Market — Opportunities, Threats and Critical Strategies 2014, BioWorld’s editorial team provides expert perspective on the business, regulatory and scientific development of biosimilars (also called follow-on biologics in some global markets). Data and analysis are included from around the world.
The new market report focuses on:
• Who’s who in biosimilars: It’s a surprisingly diverse market. One might assume the big pharmas and generics makers will conquer and defend with their vast resources and funding, but that’s not necessarily the case. They face a steep learning curve — expertise held by biologics makers. New pure-play biosimilar makers are popping up, too.
• Economics: Typically offering 20 to 30 percent discounts from innovator biologics, biosimilars are expected to have delivered anywhere from $11 billion to $33 billion in savings across the EU alone by 2020.
• Start-ups: Working to make and sell biosimilars in emerging territories could be just the “David” ticket to beat pharma Goliaths that dominate those realms.
• Interchangeability: Unlike most of the EU, the U.S. has thrown interchangeability into the mix. A big benefit, it’s expected to speed adoption and lead to lower prices.
• A level playing field: The World Health Organization recently proposed a voluntary, global naming scheme that could level the playing field for biosimilars and their reference biologics.
• And much more
Biosimilars: A Global Perspective of a New Market — Opportunities, Threats and Critical Strategies 2014 is not just a nice-to-have report chock full of facts and figures. It’s an armamentarium of information needed to participate, get ahead of the competition, and defend hard-fought-for turf. In addition to an updated list of approved biosimilars, company and deal profiles, pipeline updates of >700 products or product candidates and 25 global markets examined, the report includes competitive and defensive strategies, marketing advice and insight on the science of biosimilars.
Order Biosimilars: A Global Perspective of a New Market Opportunities, Threats and Critical Strategies 2014 now for a comprehensive resource on biosimilars information and insight!
Available electronically only as an interactive PDF.
Click here to contact a sales representative.