* AltaRex Corp., of Edmonton, Alberta, named Richard Bagley president and CEO.
* Alza Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., appointed Jay Shepard vice president of sales.
* Amrad Corp., of Victoria, Australia, named as a director Adrienne Clarke, lieutenant governor of Victoria and director of the plant cell biology research center at the University of Melbourne.
* Aurora Biosciences Corp., of San Diego, appointed Tad Hurst vice president of pharmaco-informatics.
* BioChem Pharma Inc., of Laval, Quebec, appointed Jacques Lapointe president and chief operating officer.
* BioCryst Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Birmingham, Ala., named John Uhrin vice president of corporate development.
* Biogen Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., named Cary Pfeffer director of market and business development.
* Bio-Technology General Corp., of Iselin, N.J., appointed Norman Barton senior vice president and chief medical officer.
* Briana Bio-Tech Inc., of Edmonton, Alberta, named as chairman Gervais Dionne, executive vice president of research and development for BioChem Pharma Inc.
* Calydon Inc., of Sunnyvale, Calif., named to its board John McLaughlin, president of Tularik Inc., and Gary Neil, president and CEO of Crescendo Pharmaceuticals Inc. Calydon also appointed Scott Wheelwright vice president of development and manufacturing.
* Cellomics Inc., of Pittsburgh, made the following appointments: Elizabeth Woo, project manager in business development; Chris Harrington, head of database development; Lawrence Zana, software manager; and Keith Boyce, manager of database development.
* Cephid Inc., of Sunnyvale, Calif., appointed Cathy Smith vice president of finance.
* CoCensys Inc., of Irvine, Calif., appointed H. Walter Bee director of toxicology.
* Copernicus Gene Systems Inc., of Cleveland, appointed to its board of directors Robert Moen, a vice president of Baxter Healthcare Corp., and named K. Megan Miller vice president of administration.
* COR Therapeutics Inc., of South San Francisco, made the following appointments: Laura Brege, senior vice president of finance and chief financial officer; Charles du Mee, vice president of product development; Ellen Martin, vice president of regulatory affairs; and Robert Scarborough, vice president of medicinal chemistry.
* Coulter Cellular Therapies Inc., of Boston, appointed James Embree vice president of manufacturing.
* Desmos Inc., of San Diego, named Cheri Colegrove director of business development.
* Digital Gene Technologies Inc., of La Jolla, Calif., named Andrew Schwab vice president of business development.
* Elan Corp., of Athlone, Ireland, named Steve Thornton executive vice president of commercial development.
* Endorex Corp., of Chicago, named to its board Steven Thornton, executive vice president of commercial development of Elan Corp.
* Eurona Medical AB, of Uppsala, Sweden, named Thomas Lewander vice president of research and development.
* GelTex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Waltham, Mass., appointed Edmund Sybertz senior vice president of research and development and Martha Carter vice president of regulatory affairs.
* Gem Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Birmingham, Ala., appointed to its board Richard Power, a principal partner in the Sage Group, and named David Walsh vice president of operations.
* Human Genome Sciences Inc., of Rockville, Md., appointed Deborah Russell director of pharmacology.
* Human Genome Sciences Inc., of Rockville, Md., named Michael Fannon vice president and chief information officer and Reiner Gentz vice president of protein development.
* Immunex Corp., of Seattle, appointed to its board Joseph Mahady, president of Wyeth-Ayerst North America, a division of American Home Products Corp.
* LeukoSite Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed to its board Timothy Springer, professor at Harvard Medical School's department of pathology, and Yasunori Kaneko, vice president of business development at Tularik Inc.
* Ligand Phamaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, named Philip Duffy vice president of technical operations.
* LXR Biotechnology Inc., of Richmond, Calif., appointed Lawrence Rosania vice president of regulatory and clinical affairs.
* Medco Research Inc., of Research Triangle Park, N.C., named Roger Blevins CEO.
* MetaXen LLC, of Hayward, Calif., named Marlene McNew director of finance and administration.
* NeoPharm Inc., of Bannockburn, Ill., appointed James Hussey president and CEO.
* Neurex Corp., of Menlo Park, Calif., named Paul Wood vice president of research and preclinical development.
* Ostex International Inc., of Seattle, named Donna DeLong vice president of marketing.
* Penederm Inc., of Foster City, Calif., appointed to its board Joseph Smith, former executive with Warner-Lambert Co.
* Pharmacopeia Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named Richard Walsh senior vice president of marketing and business development.