* ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, appointed to its scientific advisory board Brian Kobilka, associate professor of medicine and molecular and cellular physiology at Stanford University Medical School, in Palo Alto, Calif.
* ALFACELL Corp., of Bloomfield, N.J., appointed to its board of directors Martin Stadler, former chief financial officer and director at Hoffmann-La Roche Inc., of Nutley, N.J., which is a subsidiary of Roche Holding Ltd., of Basel, Switzerland.
* Aurora Biosciences Corp., of San Diego, appointed three new management directors: Kleanthis Xanthopoulos, molecular biology and genomics; Susan Cole, business development and technical licensing; and Angela Hartley, corporate communications and investor relations.
* La Jolla Pharmaceutical Co., of San Diego, named Peter Ulrich executive vice president.
* MGI PHARMA Inc., of Minneapolis, made the following appointments: James Adam, chief operating officer; Lori-Jean Gille, senior vice president, general counsel and secretary; William Brown, vice president of finance; James Shields, vice president of sales; Robert Johnson, vice president of pharmaceutical manufacturing operations; and John MacDonald, vice president of research and development.
* Neurogen Corp., of Branford, Conn., named James Krause vice president for biochemistry.
* Nextran Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named Donald Charlton director of business development. Nextran is a unit of Baxter International Inc., of Deerfield, Ill.
* Spinal Concepts Inc., of Austin, Texas, appointed to its board of directors Roy Black, former vice chairman at Johnson & Johnson, of New Brunswick, N.J.
* Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc., of South San Francisco, named April Teitelbaum senior director for clinical research.
* Unimed Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Buffalo Grove, Ill., appointed Ronald Goode president and CEO.
* Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., named John Alam vice president for clinical development.