* ALZA Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., named Felix Theeuwes president of new ventures and James Young senior vice president of commercial development.
* Apex Bioscience Inc., of Research Triangle Park, N.C., appointed to its board of directors Julius Krevans, medical director of international clinical programs at University of California, San Francisco, and John Zabriskie, chairman and CEO of NEN Life Science Products Inc.
* Arterial Vascular Engineering Inc., of Santa Rosa, Calif., appointed Scott Solano president and CEO.
* Biomira Inc., of Edmonton, Alberta, named to its board of directors Shelia Katz, co-founder of Allegeny University School of Public Health, in Philadelphia, and W. Vickery Stoughton, chairman and CEO of Exigent Diagnostics, of Radnor, Pa.
* Caliper Technologies Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., named as chairman David Mulligan, former senior vice president and chief scientific officer of Abbott Laboratories, of Abbott Park, Ill.
* Cell Genesys Inc., of Foster City, Calif., appointed Dale Ando vice president of clinical research and Kurt Leutzinger chief financial officer and vice president of finance for the company's Abgenix Inc. subsidiary.
* Cellex Biosciences Inc., of Minneapolis, named Bernard Horwath president and general manager of its perfusion technologies division.