* Boehringer Mannheim Group, of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, appointed Manfred Baier as president of the biochemicals division.
* Celgene Corp., of Warren, N.J., named Jerome Zeldis to the new position of vice president of medical affairs.
* Cephalon Inc., of West Chester, Pa., appointed Eduardo Bravo as country manager of Spain.
* CoCensys Inc., of Irvine, Calif., named Louise Murphy vice president of statistics, data management and scientific information.
* CombiChem Inc., of San Diego, appointed William Scott, former senior vice president of drug discovery research at the Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, to its board of directors.
* Corvas International Inc., of San Diego, elected John Fried to its board of directors.
* Creative BioMolecules Inc., of Hopkinton, Mass., named to its board of directors Suzanne Jaffe, managing director of Hamilton & Co., and appointed Cheryl Lawton vice president and general counsel and Steven Basta vice president of corporate development and investor relations.
* Emisphere Technologies Inc., of Hawthorne, N.Y., named Joseph Robinson, professor of pharmacy and chairman of the division of pharmaceutical science at the University of Wisconsin, to its board of directors.
* Gene Logic Inc., of Columbia, Md., appointed the following: Keith Elliston, senior vice president and chief scientific officer; Daniel Passeri, vice president for business development and intellectual property management; Shahid Imran, director of bioinformatics research; and Brian Bullard, director of bioinformatics production and development.
* Genentech Inc., of San Francisco, appointed the following: Joffre Baker, vice president of research discovery; Paula Jardieu, vice president of pharmacological sciences; Bill Young, chief operating officer; Art Levinson, CEO; and Vishva Dixit, director of the oncology department. The company promoted Lou Lavigne from chief financial officer to executive vice president.
* Genome Therapeutics Corp., of Waltham, Mass., named former senior vice president for research at Merck Sharp & Dohme Research Laboratories, Michael Rosenblatt, to its board of directors and appointed Christopher Kelly as senior vice president of business development.
* Guilford Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Baltimore, appointed David Savello senior vice president of drug development, promoted John Brennan to senior vice president, operations, and Andrew Jordan to senior vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer.
* Houghten Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, announced the retirement of Ronald Tuttle as chief scientific officer. His responsibilities were assumed by Bernard King, vice president of biological sciences and development.
* Human Genome Sciences Inc., of Rockville, Md., appointed Arthur Mandell senior vice president, business development.
* ID Biomedical Corp., of Vancouver, Canada, appointed Hans Marquardt director of protein chemistry at the Seattle-based company.
* IDEC Pharmaceuticals Corp., of San Diego, elected to its board of directors Alan Glassberg, director of general oncology at the University of California San Francisco Cancer Center.