* Onyx Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Richmond, Calif., appointed to its board of directors: Randy Thurman, former chairman and CEO of Corning Life Sciences; Wendell Wierenga, senior vice president of research at Warner-Lambert Co.'s Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research division; and Michael Berendt, senior vice president of research at Bayer AG's pharmaceutical division.
* Orchid Biocomputer Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named Dale Pfost chairman and CEO.
* Phytera Inc., of Worcester, Mass., appointed James McAlpine director of natural product chemistry.
* Procept Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Albert Profy vice president of protein biochemistry and preclinical development and Timothy Ocain director of medicinal chemistry.
* ProCyte Corp., of Kirkland, Wash., appointed Kenneth Green vice president of sales.
* RedCell Inc., of South San Francisco, appointed Mark Hirsch president and CEO.
* Sugen Inc., of Redwood City, Calif., named to its board of directors Jeremy Cook, a director at International Biotechnology Trust plc.
* SuperGen Inc., of Emeryville, Calif., appointed Frederick Grab vice president of pharmaceutical operations.
* Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed to its board of directors Charles Sanders, former chairman and CEO of Glaxo Inc.