* GalaGen Inc., of Arden Hills, Minn., said that use of its leadproduct in development, Sporidin-G, showed favorable clinicalresults and an acceptable safety profile in the treatment of diarrheacaused by Cryptosporidium parvum in patients with AIDS. GalaGencurrently is conducting a PhaseII/III double-blind placebo-controlledstudy using an advanced, more potent formulation of Sporidin-G.
* Isis Pharmaceuticals, of Carlsbad, Calif., said that it hasdemonstrated that antisense compounds can work through a novelmechanism of RNA splicing, inhibiting a key step in RNAmetabolism and the production of disease-causing proteins.
* Incyte Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Palo Alto, Calif., and AbbottLaboratories, of Abbott Park, Ill., have expanded their genomic database agreement, originally signed in December 1995. The expandedagreement provides Abbott with access to Incyte's PathoSeqmicrobial data base and LifeSeq FL data base of full-length genes.Abbott continues to have access to Incyte's LifeSeq human sequenceand expression data base and custom satellite services provided in theoriginal agreement.
* Oncogene Science Inc., of Uniondale , N.Y., said the AssociationFranaise Contre Les Myopathies, of Paris, has agreed to provide$700,000 in additional funding to the company to supportcontinuation of a discovery research program in the area ofDuchenne's dystrophy.
* Quintiles Transnational Corp., of Research Triangle Park, N.C., hasadded Innovex Ltd., of Parsippany, N.J., to its global conglomerateof companies. Innovex specializes in supplementing the sales andmarketing of drugs for various pharmaceutical companies on a globalbasis. In the transaction, Quintiles acquired all of Innovex stock inexchange for approximately 9.2 million shares of Quintiles stock andoptions to purchase approximately 800,000 shares of Quintiles in apooling of interests transactions. Quintiles will also retireapproximately $60 million of existing Innovex obligations.
* Vascular Therapeutics Inc., of Mountain View, Calif., and itsaffiliate, Vascular Therapeutics Canada Inc., of Hamilton, Ontario,have agreed to obtain world-wide exclusive rights to anantithrombotic drug from Recordata Industria Chimica eFarmaceutica, of Milan, Italy.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.