* Affymetrix Inc., of Santa Clara, Calif., appointed Lubert Stryer toits board. Stryer is a Winzer Professor in the School of Medicine andprofessor of neurobiology at Stanford University.
* Antex Biologics, of Gaithersburg, Md., appointed Theresa Smith asvice president of corporate development.
* Aurora Biosciences Corp., of La Jolla, Calif., appointed NealBurres as director of screening and John Mendlein as director ofintellectual property and senior legal counsel.
* BioStratum Inc., of Lake Forest, Ill., appointed Archie Prestayko aschairman, president and CEO and Charles Sanders as director.
* Cortecs International, of London, appointed Martin Preuveneers asinternational operations director.
* CytoMed Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Richard Woodrichas executive vice president and chief operating officer.
* Dyax Corp., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Craig Hess to the newposition of senior vice president, operations for the company'sSeparations Division.
* Exelixis Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointedGeorge Scangos as president and CEO. Most recently he waspresident of Bayer Biotechnology.
* Genelabs Technologies Inc., of Redwood City, Calif., promotedJames Smith to chief operating officer.
* ID Biomedical Corp., of Vancouver, British Columbia, appointedRichard Bastiani to its board.
* MacroMed Inc., of Salt Lake City, promoted Younsik Cha toexecutive director of research and development.
* Maxim Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, said Dale Sanderjoined the company as chief financial officer, vice president offinance, secretary and treasurer.
* Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., made thefollowing appointments: Anne Craig, patent counsel; Jose-CarlosGutierrez-Ramos, senior scientist and head of experimentaltherapeutics; Karl Handelsman, director of business development;Beverly Holley, director of investor and public relations; PeterMcLoughlin, director, organization development and training; JamesMerryweather, director, program management; A. Jeannette Potts,associate director, licensing; and James Vath, senior scientist, proteinbiochemistry.
* Variagenics Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Fred Ledley aspresident, chief operating officer and director.
* Xenova Group plc, of Slough, U.K., appointed Ronald Irwin,Adrian Harris and Michael Ross as directors.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.