* Alkermes Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., began a Phase I/II trial ofRMP-7 _ a compound that increases the permeability of the blood-brain barrier _ and the chemotherapeutic agent carboplatin inpatients with metastatic brain tumor. The study, at two centers inEurope, will involve 14 patients with brain tumor resulting from lungcancer metastases.
* Chiron Corp., of Emeryville, Calif., reached an agreement to sell itsshare of a joint venture in generic oncology products to Ben VenueLaboratories Inc., of Bedford, Ohio. The companies have operated a50/50 joint venture since 1995. Terms were not disclosed.
* Genetrix Inc., of Phoenix, a genetic testing laboratory, voted infavor of allowing Genzyme Corp., of Cambridge, Mass., to acquire itfor $36.7 million in Genzyme stock. The company will be mergedinto Genzyme's Integrated Genetics diagnostic services business.(See BioWorld Today, Feb. 15, 1996, p. 1.)
* InSite Vision Inc., of Alameda, Calif., raised $8.75 million throughthe direct placement of 1.75 million new shares. Hambrecht & QuistLLC, of New York, managed the placement.
* Oncogene Science Inc., of Uniondale, N.Y., raised another $2.7million in association with its March 1996 public offering afterunderwriter Robertson, Stephens & Co., of San Francisco, exercisedits overallotment option for 293,750 shares. The company's offeringgenerated $28.5 million in gross proceeds through the sale of morethan 2.8 million shares at $9.13 per share. Oncogene Science alsosold 500,000 shares to BioChem Pharma Inc., of Laval, Quebec,lifting the amount of the recent financing to about $30.6 million.
* Sequus Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Menlo Park, Calif., said Amphocil,which is a combination of the anti-fungal amphotericin B and thecompany's lipid-based drug delivery system, was cleared formarketing in Sweden as a second-line treatment for systemicmycoses. Amphocil is approved in 10 countries outside the U.S. andis under review by the FDA.
* U.S. Bioscience Inc., of West Conshohocken, said stockholdersapproved a one-for-two reverse split of the company's stock.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.