* Alza Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., named Phyllis Gardnervice president, research, and head of the Alza TechnologyInstitute.
* Calgene Inc., of Davis, Calif., hired Richard Stonard forthe new position of senior vice president and chieftechnical officer.
* Cellegy Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Novato, Calif.,appointed William Bliss as president, CEO and director.
* Human Genome Sciences Inc., of Rockville, Md., saidMelvin Booth, president and chief operating officer, willassume chief financial officer duties on an interim basiswhile a replacement is found for Nancy Broadbent, whoresigned as chief financial officer and director.
* Inflazyme Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Vancouver, BritishColumbia, appointed Jim Manuso to its board ofdirectors. He is chairman emeritus of the Manpower andEducation Committee of the New York BiotechnologyAssociation and president of a consulting firm focused onstart-up biotechnology companies.
* Ligand Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, hiredSteven Reich as senior vice president, clinical research.
* Matritech Inc., of Newton, Mass., named C. WilliamZadel, president and CEO of Ciba Corning DiagnosticsCorp., to its board of directors.
* MicroGeneSys Inc., of Meriden, Conn., expanded itsboard to 14 members with the appointments of WilliamDunn, Robert Goergen, Michael Kasser and JamesMcGrath to its board of directors. Dunn is president ofDunn Capital Management Inc.; Goergen is chairman,CEO and president of Blyth Industries Inc. and chairmanof Xtra Corp.; Kasser is president of Holualoa Cos., a realestate management company; and McGrath is director ofAmerican Medical Response Inc., a private ambulanceservice.
* PerSeptive Biosystems Inc., of Framingham, Mass.,hired Shaun Lonergan as senior director, corporatecommunications. Also, Thomas Slagle was named vicepresident, North American field operations.
* ProCyte Corp., of Kirkland, Wash., appointed DavidFulle as vice president of manufacturing operations.
* T Cell Sciences Inc., of Needham, Mass., promotedJames Levin to vice president of development.
* Targeted Genetics Corp., of Seattle, named BruceDevens as director of immunology.
* Versicor Inc., a Marlborough, Mass., subsidiary ofSepracor Inc., hired James Hauske as vice president ofchemistry.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.