* Shareholders of ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc., SPI PharmaceuticalsInc., Viratek Inc. and ICN Biomedicals, all affiliated companies inCosta Mesa, Calif., approved the merger of the four companies intoone corporation (For more details about the deal, see BioWorldToday, Aug. 3, 1994, p.1.).
* Ixsys Inc., of San Diego, has licensed from Hoechst Japan Ltd.rights to monoclonal antibodies, including all forms of MRK-16 andMRK-17, for development of drugs to enhance the effect ofchemotherapy against drug-resistant tumors.
* Therion Biologics Corp., of Cambridge, Mass., has signed acollaborative research and development agreement with the NationalCancer Institute (NCI) to develop cancer vaccines based on liverecombinant poxvirus vectors that express specific tumor-associatedantigens identified by Steven Rosenberg, chief of NCI's surgerybranch.
* Dura Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, has signed an agreementwith Mitsubishi Chemical Corp., of Japan, to market Dura'sDryhaler, a dry powder inhaler drug delivery system, for use with anasthma therapy in Asia.
* England-based Tepnel Life Sciences plc has enlisted the servicesof Peers & Co. in New York to find a corporate partner to co-develop Tepnel's DARAS technology for a variety of DNAdiagnostics.
* Immulogic Pharmaceutical Corp., of Waltham, Mass., said Phase Isafety trials of Allervax Ragweed showed the drug was well-tolerated in tests involving 36 people, including 24 with ragweedallergies. The drug is the second of five allergy therapies to enterclinical trials.
* ImmuCell Corp., of Portland, Maine, said it plans to repurchasenearly 343,000 shares of its common stock held by CambridgeBiotech Corp., of Worcester, Mass., for $308,500. CambridgeBiotech has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. To buy backthe ImmuCell shares and prepay a $120,000 note to CambridgeBiotech, ImmuCell said it has borrowed $500,000 from PeoplesHeritage Savings Bank, of Portland.
* Ribi ImmunoChem Research Inc., of Hamilton, Mont., hascompleted construction of a $7.3 million plant for manufacture of thecompany's MPL immunomodulator, mycobacterial cell wall skeletonand melanoma tumor cell lysate products.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.