* Boston Life Sciences Inc., of Waltham, Mass., obtained aworldwide exclusive license to a patent application on a transcriptionfactor, C-Maf, that showed in vitro it can regulate the switching of Thelper 1 cells into T Helper 2 cells. It may have value in autoimmunediseases and allergies.
* Mitotix Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., acquired an exclusiveworldwide license to the natural cell cycle inhibitor, p27, for all anti-proliferative therapeutic and diagnostic applications. The licensecame from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, of Seattle,and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Mitotix,which also has rights to the tumor suppressor gene p16, already isusing the p27 gene and protein in its discovery efforts.
* Recombinant BioCatalysis Inc., of Sharon Hill, Pa., raised $12.5million in a second round of financing. The company has a platformin protein-based enzymes that helps in the discovery of catalysts forchemical synthesis, industrial processes and pharmacological uses.
* Sequus Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Menlo Park, Calif., receivedEuropean Union marketing authorization for Doxil, or liposomaldoxorubicin. The cancer drug will be marketed in Europe under thename Caelyx. The company can start selling the drug in thosecountries not requiring formal pricing applications, including theU.K., Germany, Denmark and Sweden.
* Texas Biotechnology Corp., of Houston, signed an additionalagreement with Montrouge, France-based Synthelabo in which TexasBiotechnology will supply data from its trial evaluating Novastan asan adjunct to streptokinase therapy in acute myocardial infarction.Synthelabo is developing Novastan in Europe.
* Unigene Laboratories Inc., said a lower dose of its Fortical pill fororal delivery of calcitonin exceeded target blood levels of the drug inall subjects who participated in the U.K. study.
* VimRx Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Stamford, Conn., said 14.2 millionClass B warrants were exercised, resulting in net proceeds of $30.7million. (See BioWorld Today, April 26, 1996, p. 1.)
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.