* Alza Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., named Karen Bergman vice president for corporate and investor relations.
* Atlantic Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Raleigh, N.C., appointed to its board Robert Fildes, former chairman and CEO of Scotgen Biopharmaceuticals Inc., of Aberdeen, U.K., and a former president and CEO of Cetus Corp., of Emeryville, Calif.
* BioTime Inc., of Berkeley, Calif., appointed Ronald Barkin president and chief operating officer.
* Celtrix Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Santa Clara, Calif., named Donald Huffman vice president for finance and administration.
* Crescendo Pharmaceuticals Corp., of Palo Alto, Calif., named the following to its board of directors: Terrence Blaschke, professor of medicine and pharmacology at Stanford University's School of Medicine, in Palo Alto; Jerry Jackson, former vice president of Merck & Co. Inc., of Whitehouse Station, N.J.; M. David MacFarlane, vice president for regulatory affairs at Genentech Inc., of South San Francisco; and Gerald Papariello, a private consultant to research-based pharmaceutical companies in the area of developmental operations and organizational principles.
* Cytogen Corp., of Princeton, N.J., appointed John Bagalay interim chief financial officer.
* Endorex Corp., of Chicago, appointed to the board of directors Paul Rubin, who is a senior vice president for drug development at Sepracor Inc., of Marlborough, Mass.
* LIDAK Pharmaceuticals Inc., of La Jolla, Calif., named Jeffery Weinress vice president and chief financial officer.
* Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp., of Phoenix, named Ronald Gibb senior vice president for strategic planning and corporate development.
* Pangea Systems Inc., of Oakland, Calif., named Peter Karp director of pathway research, senior scientist and a Pangea fellow.
* Pharmacopeia Inc., of Princeton, N.J., appointed Peter Gund executive director for information services.
* TheraTech Inc., of Salt Lake City, named Warren Dudley vice president for marketing and sales.
* Xcyte Therapies Inc., of Seattle, named Jeffrey Ledbetter chief scientific officer.