* InSite Vision Inc., of Alameda, Calif., appointed to its board of directors Anders Wiklund, a former executive with Pharmacia & Upjohn Inc.
* Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Carlsbad, Calif., named to its board of directors Stephen Carter, senior vice president of research and development of Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc.
* Ligand Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, named the following: William Pettit, senior vice president of human resources and administration; Andres Negro-Vilar, senior vice president of research and chief scientific officer; and Paul Maier, senior vice president. Susan Atkins, vice president of corporate communications and investor relations, was appointed a corporate officer.
* Matrix Pharmaceutical Inc., of Fremont, Calif., named Richard Leavitt, senior vice president of medical and regulatory affairs.
* Mitotix Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., named Jim Melanson vice president of finance and administration and Barbara Bolten director of licensing.
* Molecular Biosystems Inc., of San Diego, named to its board of directors Jerry Jackson, former executive vice president of Merck & Co.
* Oncor Inc., of Gaithersburg, Md., appointed to its board of directors Derace Schaffer, clinical professor of radiology at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, and Jose Coronas, former president of Johnson & Johnson Clinical Diagnostics Inc.
* Onyx Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Richmond, Calif., appointed to its board of directors: Randy Thurman, former chairman and CEO of Corning Life Sciences; Wendell Wierenga, senior vice president of research at Warner-Lambert Co.'s Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research division; and Michael Berendt, senior vice president of research at Bayer AG's pharmaceutical division.
* Orchid Biocomputer Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named Dale Pfost chairman and CEO.
* Phytera Inc., of Worcester, Mass., appointed James McAlpine director of natural product chemistry.
* Procept Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Albert Profy vice president of protein biochemistry and preclinical development and Timothy Ocain director of medicinal chemistry.
* ProCyte Corp., of Kirkland, Wash., appointed Kenneth Green vice president of sales.
* RedCell Inc., of South San Francisco, appointed Mark Hirsch president and CEO.
* Sugen Inc., of Redwood City, Calif., named to its board of directors Jeremy Cook, a director at International Biotechnology Trust plc.
* SuperGen Inc., of Emeryville, Calif., appointed Frederick Grab vice president of pharmaceutical operations.
* Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed to its board of directors Charles Sanders, former chairman and CEO of Glaxo Inc.