* Avigen Inc., of Alameda, Calif., appointed Robert Mauer vice president of business development.
* BioGenex Laboratories, of San Ramon, Calif., named Richard Wieland senior vice president and chief financial officer.
* Cadus Pharmaceutical Corp., of Tarrytown, N.Y., appointed to its board of directors Nicole Vittullo, a current senior vice president of Rothschild Asset Management Inc. She is replacing Thomas Shenk, who was appointed to Cadus scientific advisory Board.
* ChemTrak Inc., of Sunnyvale, Calif., advanced Edward Covell from president and chief operating officer to president and CEO.
* Chiron Corp., of Emeryville, Calif., appointed Magnus Lundberg president of Chiron Vaccines. Lundberg will continue as president of Chiron Therapeutics.
* Enzon Inc., of Piscataway, N.J., appointed to its board of directors Rolf Classon, the current president of Bayer Diagnostics and vice president of Bayer Corp., and named Jeffrey McGuire vice president of research and development and chief scientific officer.
* Ergo Science Corp., of Boston, appointed to its board of directors W. Leigh Thompson, Jr., former chief science officer of Eli Lilly and Co., and adds Richard Paul to its management team as senior vice president of medical affairs.
* GalaGen Inc., of Arden Hills, Minn., named Francois Lebel vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs.
* Gene Logic, of Columbia, Md., appointed to its board of directors Anthony Gorry, a professor of computer science and vice president for information technology at Rice University.
* Genome Therapeutics Corp., of Waltham, Mass., appointed Nikolai Kley as head of functional genomics.
* GenVec Inc., of Rockville, Md., advanced Paul Fischer from chief operating officer to president and CEO.
* Gliatech Inc., of Cleveland, promoted Kurt Brunden to vice president of research and appointed the following: Michael Lang, director of business development and special projects; Gerard Watermeier, international sales manager; and Charles Roman, senior product manager.
* Hepatix Inc., of San Diego, named Kathy Esty director of regulatory affairs and quality assurance.
* ID Biomedical Corp., of Vancouver, Canada, appointed Henry Fletcher director of operations.
* Introgen Therapeutics Inc., of Austin, Texas, appointed Shawn Gallagher vice president of manufacturing.
* Incyte Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Palo Alto, Calif., named Randy Scott president and chief scientific officer.
* Ixion Biotechnology Inc., of Alachua, Fla., appointed John Tedesco as vice president of operations and regulatory affairs.
* Jenner Technologies, of San Ramon, Calif., named Thomas Twaddell vice president of clinical research and development.
* Megabios Corp., of Burlingame, Calif., appointed Beatrice Langton-Webster as director of life sciences and Ralph Niven as director of pharmaceutics and delivery.
* Parexel International Corp., of Boston, appointed to its senior management team James Karis, chief operating officer, and Victoria Kusiak, vice president of worldwide medical affairs services.
* PE Applied Biosystems, of Foster City, Calif., appointed Sandra McNamara as vice president of finance.
* Phoenix International, of Saint-Laurent, Quebec, appointed Gregory Holmes as president of the Cincinnati operation and Suman Wason as medical director of that operation.
* Phytera Inc., of Worcester, Mass., appointed to its board of directors Poul Schluter, former member of the Danish Parliament, and Uffe Bundgarrd-Jorgensen, the managing director of Danish Development Finance Corp.
* Quintiles Transitional Corp., of Research Triangle Park, N.C., appointed the following: Rachel Selisker, executive vice president of finance; Gregory Porter, executive vice president, chief administrative and legal officer; Connie Moreadith, senior vice president of corporate planning and business integration; and Michael Troullis, senior vice president and worldwide controller.
* Scios Inc., of Mountain View, Calif., appointed George Schreiner to the newly created position of vice president of cardiorenal research.
* Structural Bioinformatics Inc., of San Diego, elected Manfred Wolff to the scientific advisory board.
* Sugen Inc., of Redwood City, Calif., advanced the following to senior management: Sara Courtneidge, senior vice president of research; Christine Gray-Smith, vice president of finance; and Laura Shawver, vice president of preclinical and pharmaceutical development.
* Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., of Jerusalem, said Eli Hurvitz will serve as president and CEO for an additional five years.
* U.S. Bioscience Inc., of W. Conshohocken, Pa., named Wolfgang Oster senior vice president of worldwide clinical research and Martha Manning senior vice president and general counsel.
* Verigen Inc., of Scottsdale, U.K., appointed as the chairman of the board Frode Botevik, a current executive chairman of Nera ASA.
* Versicor Inc., of San Francisco, named as chairman of the board and member of the scientific advisory board David Milligan, former senior vice president and chief scientific officer at Abbott Laboratories.
* Viragen Inc., of Miami, appointed to its board of directors both Fred Hirt, president and CEO of Mount Sinai Medical Center, in Miami, and Charles Fistel, executive vice president of corporate development.