* Acacia Biosciences Inc., of Richmond, Calif., named Stewart Scherer vice president of bioinformatics.
* Advanced Tissue Sciences Inc., of La Jolla, Calif., named David Horwitz senior vice president for technology.
* Aquila Biopharmaceuticals Inc., of Worcester, Mass., named James Warren vice president of finance, chief financial officer and treasurer.
* Aronex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of The Woodlands, Texas, appointed Anthony Williams vice president of medical affairs for Europe.
* Aurora Biosciences Corp., of San Diego, appointed Paul England vice president for discovery operations.
* Biovector Therapeutics SA, of Toulouse, France, appointed Frederic Allemand vice president of business development.
* British Biotech plc, of Oxford, U.K., appointed Peder Jensen development director and chief medical officer.
* Cerebrus Ltd., of Wokingham, U.K., named the following: Frances Willett, director of clinical research; Deborah Scholey, director of regulatory affairs; and Malcolm Sheardown, director of molecular pharmacology.
* ChiRex Inc., of Stamford, Conn., named Beth Hecht general counsel.
* Chiron Corp., of Emeryville, Calif., named Lewis Williams chief scientific officer.
* ClinTrials Research Inc., of Nashville, Tenn., named Jerry Mitchell CEO and president.
* Cytogen Corp., of Princeton, N.J., appointed as chairman William Mills, who previously served as chairman from January 1995 to May 1996, and appointed John Bagalay interim president and CEO.
* Darwin Discovery, of Seattle, appointed Robert Cottingham director of scientific computing. Darwin is a unit of Chiroscience Group plc, of Cambridge.
* DepoMed Inc., of Foster City, Calif., appointed to its board W. Leigh Thompson, former chief scientific officer at Eli Lilly and Co., of Indianapolis.
* Derma Sciences Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named to its board of directors Timothy Patrick, president and CEO of Atlanta-based Proxima Therapeutics Inc.
* Endorex Corp., of Chicago, Ill., named to its board of directors former New York City Council President Andrew Stein, who also is an equity participant in Metromedia Asia Ltd., a telecommunications venture in China, and appointed David Franckowiak vice president for finance and administration.
* Gene Logic Inc., of Columbia, Md., named Daniel Passeri senior vice president of technology and program management.
* GeneMedicine Inc., of The Woodlands, Texas, made the following appointments: Alain Rolland, vice president for research; Sean Sullivan, director and program head of the tumor endothelium program; and Randy Riggs, director of business development for infectious diseases.
* Gensia Sicor Inc., of San Diego, made the following appointments to the board of directors of its subsidiary, Metabasis Therapeutics Inc.: chairman, Paul Laikind, co-founder of Gensia Inc.; director, David Hale, former president and CEO of Gensia Sicor; director, Michael Cannon, Gensia Sicor's executive vice president; director, John Sayward, Gensia Sicor's vice president and chief financial officer; director, Martha Hough, Gensia Sicor's division vice president for finance and corporate communications; and director, Patrick Walsh, Gensia Sicor Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s president and chief operating officer. In addition, Gene Tutwiler was named president and CEO of Metabasis and Mark Erion was named vice president of research.
* Haemonetics Corp., of Braintree, Mass., appointed the following: Stuart Burgess, a former CEO of London-based Amersham International plc, was named chairman; and James Peterson was named CEO.
* Human Genome Sciences Inc., of Rockville, Md., appointed Jeanne Riley director of new product planning.
* Idun Pharmaceuticals Inc., of La Jolla, Calif., appointed to its board of directors Stanley Crooke, founder, chairman and CEO of Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Carlsbad, Calif.
* Ilex Oncology Inc., of San Antonio, appointed Richard Marcel senior vice president and chief operating officer of Ilex Oncology Services Inc., a subsidiary.
* Immune Response Corp., of Carlsbad, Calif., named Steven Richieri chief operating officer.
* Kimeragen Inc., of Newtown, Pa., named Michael Blaese chief scientific officer and president of the division of molecular pharmaceuticals, and appointed Keith Walker president of the firm's new plant business division.
* Labopharm Inc., of Montreal, named Gilles Derome vice president for business development.
* LJL BioSystems Inc., of Sunnyvale, Calif., appointed James Richey senior vice president for marketing and sales.
* LXR Biotechnology Inc., of Richmond, Calif., appointed the following to its board of directors: William Hambrecht, retired chairman of Hambrecht & Quist LLC; Kirk Raab, former CEO of Genentech Inc.; and Brian Bookover, a portfolio manager with Grace Brothers Ltd.
* Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed Michael Pavia chief technology development officer and Kazumi Shiosaki senior director for drug discovery.
* Morphosys GmbH, of Munich, appointed Dave Lemus chief financial officer.
* Myelos Neurosicences Corp., of San Diego, named as chairman Jerry Caulder, former Mycogen Corp. chairman, president and CEO.
* NeoPharm Inc., of Bannockburn, Ill., named James Hussey president and CEO.