APPOINTMENTS AND ADVANCEMENTS
* Alizyme Ltd., of London, appointed Brian Richards as non-executive chairman and Stewart Siddall and Alan Goodman as non-executive directors.
* Applied Imaging Corp., of Santa Clara, Calif., said G. Kirk Raabjoined the board of directors. He is former CEO at Genentech Inc.and current chairman at Shaman Pharmaceutical, ConnectiveTherapeutics, Oxford GlycoSystems and Sinogen International.
* Aprogenex Inc., of Houston, appointed David Leech as actingpresident and CEO, and a member of the board. Leech previouslyhad been president and CEO at Argus Pharmaceuticals and atHouston Biotechnology Inc.
* Biomatrix Inc., of Ridgefield, N.J., appointed Rory Riggs aspresident. He has been a company director since 1990.
* Cell Therapeutics Inc., of Seattle, appointed Robert Lewis asexecutive vice president and chief scientific officer, and JackAnthony as vice president of marketing and business development.
* CellPro Inc., of Seattle, promoted Larry Culver to executive vicepresident and chief operating officer and Cindy Jacobs to vicepresident of clinical research.
* Corvas International Inc., of San Diego, said David Kabakoff willresign as president and CEO, positions he held since 1989. He willremain as chairman. Subsequent to that announcement DuraPharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego, said Kabakoff will join thecompany by mid-year as executive vice president.
* Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed NealFarber to vice president, corporate development.
* Digital Gene Technologies Inc., of La Jolla, Calif., appointed PhilipMiller as director of bioinformatics and Brian Hilbush as molecularbiology group leader. The company also appointed Karl Hasel as vicepresident for scientific affairs and Thomas Griffin as vice presidentof finance.
* Enzon Inc., of Piscataway, N.J., said Randy Thurman will beelected as chairman of the board. He has been a company directorsince 1993, and will replace Abraham Abuchowski.
* Gliatech Inc., of Cleveland, promoted Raymond Silkaitis to vicepresident, medical and regulatory affairs.
* Hybridon Inc., of Worcester, Mass., appointed Jose Gonzalez asvice president, manufacturing.
* IMRE Corp., of San Diego, said Frank Jones, one of the company'sfounders, resigned his positions as chairman and chief scientificofficer. Richard Crooks, an IMRE director and director of Allen &Co., IMRE's principal investor, will be acting chairman. Vicechairman and CEO Jay Kranzler also will be chief scientific officer.
* Inflazyme Pharmaceuticals Ltd., of Vancouver, British Columbia,appointed Harvey Kellman and Walter Lovenberg to its board ofdirectors, and Franco Quagliata to chair its international medicaladvisory board. Kellman, who founded several biotechnologycompanies, most recently was vice chairman and president ofSheffield Medical Technologies Inc. Lovenberg is immediate pastpresident of Marion Merrell Dow Research and Development..Quagliata was a research and development physician at Ciba-GeigyLtd.
* Maxim Pharmaceuticals, of San Diego, elected two new membersto its board, G. Steven Burrill and Per-Olof Martensson. Burrill isfounder and CEO at the private merchant bank, Burrill & Craves, andMartensson has served for a number of pharmaceutical companiesover the past 28 years.
* Medarex Inc., of Annandale, N.J., said W. Leigh Thompson joinedthe board of directors. He recently retired as chief scientific officer atEli Lilly & Co.
* NaPro BioTherapeutics Inc., of Boulder, Colo., appointed VaughnBryson, Mark Hacken and Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to its board ofdirectors. Bryson is chairman of Vector Securities International Inc.,Hacken is president of the health care consulting company MBHInternational, and Hayes is president and chief operating officer ofthe pharmaceutical consulting firm MediScience Associates Inc.
* Oceanix Biosciences, of Hanover, Md., appointed Bruce Glaeser aschief technical officer.
* Ostex International Inc., of Seattle, said Robert Glaser joined thecompany as president and chief operating officer, as well as adirector. Most recently he was senior vice president, marketing, forMerck & Co.'s Human Health division.
* Panax Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., of New York, appointed RobertKrell as senior vice president, research and development.
* The Immune Response Corp., of Carlsbad, Calif., appointed MelvinPerelman to its board. He held a number of executive positions at EliLilly & Co. before retiring in 1993.
* The Liposome Co. Inc., of Princeton, N.J., named BrooksBoveroux as vice president, investor relations. He was vice presidentand chief financial officer, positions that will be assumed by BrianGeiger.
* Trimeris Inc., of Durham, N.C., named M. Ross Johnson aspresident and CEO. He has been chief scientific officer at thecompany since January 1995. Before that he was president and CEOof Parnassus Pharmaceuticals.
* Versicor Inc., of Marlborough, Mass., said Eric Gordon joined thecompany as president and chief scientific officer. He was vicepresident of research and director at Affymax Research Institute.
* Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., appointed BartHenderson to the new position of director of marketing.
* VIMRx Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Stamford, Conn., appointedRichard Dunning as president and CEO. He was executive vicepresident and chief financial officer at DuPont Merck PharmaceuticalCo.
(c) 1997 American Health Consultants. All rights reserved.